Parents: Warning signs your kids could be sick from drinking pool water

Pools can provide much-needed relief from the summer heat, but kids can make themselves sick if they swallow too much chlorinated water, experts warn.

Amid the splashing and excitement, it's common for little ones to get water in their mouth. Some kids may even take a drink from a pool, despite warnings from their parents.

Although swallowing a small amount of pool water is harmless, it's important for parents to realize that ingesting too much can lead to chlorine poisoning or so-called recreational water illness.

Kids can also inhale water into their lungs, which can lead to a serious condition called secondary drowning.

Recreational water illnesses can also be serious. Pool water contains chlorine -- a chemical used to help get rid of bacteria such as E. coli and parasites. Chlorine may not eliminate all of these germs, so if children swallow pool water they could become sick.

To help parents protect their children, they should watch out for the following symptoms that could develop within a few hours or up to 72 hours after swimming:

Upset stomach and vomiting Persistent cough Trouble breathing Fatigue

Recreational water illness and chlorine poisoning may lead to digestive distress, such as abdominal cramping and diarrhea. These conditions may seem like a bad case of food poisoning or stomach flu.

Chlorine poisoning may also cause symptoms in the nervous and respiratory systems. Children may experience trouble with their vision. Swelling and burning may also develop in their eyes, throat, nose and ears.

Secondary drowning has a greater effect on the respiratory system. Children will experience trouble breathing and have heavy, wet-sounding, persistent coughs. They will also develop uncontrollable shivering as well as hot and cold flashes.

Children who have any of these symptoms should be taken to an emergency room immediately.

Once a child is finished swimming, check for redness and irritation around the eyes, nose, mouth and ears. This could be a sign that chlorine levels were too high . Listen for a nagging cough. If a child who has been swimming develops a cough that does not go away, it could be a sign that the child swallowed too much water or inhaled it.

Be on alert for flu-like symptoms. If a child develops symptoms of the flu or food poisoning after swimming, seek immediate medical attention.


Advertisement
Text Us Anytime 51539
 
 
STAR 94 Real-Time Traffic!
Get personalized traffic and conditions before you leave your home or office. Click here
Cindy's Celebrity Dirt Alert
Get ready for the drama. Click here
Cindy's Mommy Blog
Welcome to my new Mommy blog about, yep you guessed it... all things Mommy! Click, read and comment!
Info2Go Email Alerts
Sign up to receive Rob's Daily Info2Go news update delievered right to your inbox.
InfoSTAR
Covering the news, stories and topics that concern Atlanta. Click here for more.
STAR 94 Loves Atlanta
Star 94 is proud to feature your community event or fundraiser. Click here to get started.